A Short History
Southern Cross Industries (Pty) Ltd commenced business as the "Southern Cross Windmill And Engine Co" during 1939 in the then Union of South Africa. Then it was effectively controlled by the Southern Cross Organisation with it's headquarters and factory in Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia. The purpose of opening the South African operation was for it to distribute products manufactured in Australia. The situation changed and Southern Cross Industries (South Africa) and the various Australian companies forming what was the Southern Cross Organisation of earlier years have no corporate relationship other than commercial ties.
Southern Cross underwent a radical transformation in the 1950's with the building of it's own manufacturing facility in Bloemfontein.
On 1 December 2011, Southern Cross was acquired by Kobus Knoetze, a leading businessman in Bloemfontein. Now known as Bloemfontein Metal Merchants trading as Southern Cross Industries, Kobus and his excellent management team and competent employees, still has a diversified product portfolio and demand continues for traditional water pumping products due to their economy of use and ecological friendliness.
The photographs below give a brief pictorial history of our products